Recording Military Discharges

A military discharge document is defined as any document that represents a notice of separation from or service in any armed forces of the US of any state, including but not limited to Department of Defense Form 214 or 215, WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVMC 788-PD, NAVPERS 553 or any other letter relating to the separation from the armed forces. Valid identification in the form of a driver's license, state-issued ID card or passport is required for most transactions involving veteran's discharges.

Due to legislation that may change periodically, it is recommended you contact our office with any specific questions or information.


A military discharge document must be:

  • Presented in person (not by mail, fax, email, phone, etc.)
  • Presented by an Authorized Party as defined by G.S. 47-113.2(b)(1)
  • An original, carbon copy, or photographic copy issued or certified by an agency of federal or state government
  • Accompanied by the form "Presentation of Military Discharge Document for Recording" signed by an Authorized Party

Note: If the Register of Deeds doubts the authenticity of the document as to whether or not any paper presented for registration is an official discharge from the Army, Navy, Air Force or Marine Corps of the United States, or an official certificate of lost discharge, G.S. 47-111 authorizes the register to administer an oath to the person presenting the paper. The oath form is at the Register of Deeds office and will be recorded along with the discharge record.


Certified and uncertified copies must be requested in writing by an Authorized Party using the "Request for Copy" form. 

Completed Request for Copy forms are not public records and may not be viewed by the public.



  • Discharges are recorded at no charge.
  • Certified and uncertified copies are provided to authorized persons at no charge.
  • Uncertified copies that have been on file for over 80 years may be provided to the general public; the uncertified copy fee (.25) applies.



Only authorized persons pursuant to G.S. 47-113.2(b)(1) may record or request a copy of a military discharge document at the Register of Deeds office. Authorized Parties are:

  1. Subject of the record (the veteran)
  2. Veteran's widow or widower
  3. Agents and representatives of the subject authorized in writing:
    • by the veteran or subject's widow or widower in a notarized "Authorization."
    • by a court to represent the subject
    • by the subject's executor acting on behalf of the deceased subject
  4. Authorized agents of the Division of Veterans Affairs, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, or the Department of Defense or a  court official with an interest in assisting the subject or the deceased subject's beneficiaries to obtain a benefit
  5. Agents or representatives of the North Carolina State Archives


  • The spouse of the veteran is not listed as an authorized party.
  • The child of the veteran is not listed as an authorized party.
  • Funeral home personnel may request a copy of the discharge by presenting a notarized "Authorization" from the veteran's widow, widower, or executor.

The Rockingham County Veterans' Service Officer is an authorized party and may request the copy or record the discharge on your behalf. If you have questions or need assistance, contact them directly at:


Rockingham County Veterans' Service Officer

ATTN: Wanda Lane

P. O. Box 202

Wentworth, NC 27375

(336) 342-8449 



     Rockingham County North Carolina
    Contact Us
    Rockingham County Government
    371 NC Hwy 65
    Reidsville NC 27320
    Phone: 336.342.8100
    Fax: 336.342.8105