Starting a Business

The Register of Deeds handles filings for:

  • Sole Proprietorships 
  • Partnerships
  • Corporations (doing business under an assumed name) 
  • Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) doing business under an assumed name

The Corporations Division of the NC Secretary of State handles online filings for:

  • corporations, 
  • limited partnerships and
  • Limited Liability Companies (LLCs)
Certificate of Assumed Name (also known as DBA / Doing Business As)  
NC General Statute § 66-68 requires that a Certificate of Assumed Name must be filed in the Register of Deeds Office in the county or counties in North Carolina, in which the business plans to do business by:
  • any person or partnership who engages in business in any county in this State under an assumed name or under any designation, name or style other than the real name of the owner or owners
  • any limited partnership engaged in business in any county in this State other than under the name set out in the Certificate filed with the Office of the Secretary of State
  • any limited liability company engaged in business in any county in this State other than under the name set out in the Articles of Organization filed with the Office of the Secretary of State
  • a corporation that engages in business in any county other than under its corporate name

Refer to N.C.G.S. 66-68 for more information.




The Register of Deeds office does not provide these forms and cannot assist you in filling out the forms.

Locally, the Rockingham County Economic Development and Tourism ( has forms available for your use. They also can offer assistance in starting a business in Rockingham County. 


A Certificate of Assumed Name form may also be obtained by visiting the business license information section of the NC Department of Commerce ( and must be completed in accordance with N.C.G.S. 161-14 to meet the document recording standards, including a notarized signature. We do have a notary public in our office.



See the Fee Schedule.

Note: A $25 non-compliance fee will be charged if the document fails to meet document standards. 

Business License Information

To inquire about obtaining a business license in Rockingham County, contact the Tax Department, Collections, at (336) 342-8305 and speak to a representative to determine if you need a Schedule B - Privilege License.

If a business is located inside the city limits, be sure to also contact the local City/Town Hall for a business license.

Tax Identification Number

Contact the NC Department of Revenue to get a tax identification number.

Zoning Questions

Contact the County Planning Department to check your business site to be sure it is zoned properly for your business.

Tax & Legal Information

Contact your CPA and attorney for assistance.

Other Resources Of Interest

NC Department of the Secretary of State

Small Business Administration (SBA)

Small Business Center at Rockingham Community College

(located in Wentworth, North Carolina)


Small Business & Technology Development Center (SBTDC)

NC Department of Revenue

Department of Labor - Occupational Safety & Health Division


     Rockingham County North Carolina
    Contact Us
    Rockingham County Government
    371 NC Hwy 65
    Reidsville NC 27320
    Phone: 336.342.8100
    Fax: 336.342.8105